Clayart Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Clayart Forum - Just Launched!  June 2015

Author Topic: A sample of work  (Read 1774 times)

Jqamiller

• View Profile
Re: A sample of work
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2015, 05:18:10 PM »

Ray, when I was doing more of the translucent porcelain pieces like the one in the photo, I sanded them wet with increasing grades of Wet/dry sand papers at bisque and final firing with no glaze. The soft, smooth feel of the porcelain itself was just luxurious. You couldnt help but hold the pieces and rub your hands over the surface. :-)

rbogle

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • MadeWithClay
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2015, 02:44:53 PM »

Thanks for the details. I thought it might have been "etched" in some way.  I've been working porcelain for about 6 months now....focused on throwing thinner that other clays and have enjoyed to look/feel of a nice celadon/porcelain cup

Jqamiller

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2015, 11:21:22 AM »

Ray,  I made some casting slip from Southern Ice Porcelain ,cast the vase thinly and water-etched the design. I was careful to create a design which left the rim thicker or thinner in places so that the piece would warp in a flowing way. The piece is quite translucent. It was then fired in gas reduction. Southern Ice is the only porcelain I know that looks whiter in reduction.

rbogle

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • MadeWithClay
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2015, 10:28:27 PM »

Thanks for sharing....I'm in opposite transition as you in that I've done electric and various raku, pit, saggar firing  for many years and am now learning the intricacies of gas firing.  I like your forms and their subtle details.

I'm curious how you got the texture/carved areas in the porcelain cup?   

Ray

Jqamiller

• View Profile
A sample of work
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2015, 07:39:51 PM »

This is a variety of pottery that I have done in the past. It is all cone 10 gas reduction. Now that I am getting a new electric, I will be learning all over again.