Firing > Firing / Kilns

Cone 6 is down. The kiln works!

(1/3) > >>

azor:
thanks for the tips Kellyh. I'll measure what I have in Horizontal + downward travel and add what is needed on the flue. Perhaps try a section of flue pipe or just build the base higher with hard brick. It is natural draft at the moment.

also thanks for the kiln wash info. What has kept me from coating the IFB was wondering about the bond of what I put on it and it jumping off when the heat hits it. ITC had or has a product one sprays on IFB to protect it (read and used some of it long ago, it does work) but I really didn't want to put the money out for it, seeing this is somewhat of an experiment. I also don't want a bunch of pots with wash flakes on them...Puts me in a conundrum. Going to do more research on protection and what may work.

Kellyh:
Hey, thanks! Haven't named the kiln yet, but it'll come. It's a little early to tell how the soft bricks are holding up, but they look pretty good so far. The kiln wash definitely protected them. There were a couple spots missed and you could see a difference.

As it turns out, there is a problem. I put the wash (50% kaolin, 50% ultrox) on pretty thinly, hoping it would bond to the brick better. Even thinly applied it's still wanting to flake off. I can't have bits of kiln wash flying around in there, so now I've lined the walls with kiln shelves as a precaution. Luckily I had several on hand.

The coffin/train design gives a nice directionality to the flame path, that's for sure.

Your kiln is great! I've seen another potter on the web with real nice soda fired pots out of a kiln very similar to yours, but with an updraft arrangement. I can't remember her name, but if I find it again I'll post it.

I'm going to suggest you get some more chimney on yours, that may solve the stalling. Several more feet. Conventional wisdom says "one foot for every foot of horizontal travel and three feet for every foot of downward travel" of the flue gasses. Unless you have forced air. Get more oxygen flowing through it and you'll really develop some heat.

The extra IFB will help, most especially backing up any hard brick. One layer of hard brick loses too much heat to keep up. One layer of IFB can keep up because it insulates so much better.

Looking forward to seeing more about that kiln.

azor:
Hi Kellyh,
Looked at the whole thread. Love the kiln. Missed the first part of the thread somehow, initially.
Love it when potters put together kilns from parts of other kilns. It's great your neighbors are on board.
Did you name her yet? How about the Kellyshackle?

Did you notice any deterioration on the soft brick from the soda so far?

I'll attach an image of a  ramshackle I've put together, but have yet to coat the soft brick to fight off the soda. Did two bisque firings with propane to 08.
 I wanted soda pots so bad I thought I'd experiment with an old electric kiln and put a base on it. My intent is to use some wood as well. Always good to get some ash on the pots.
Had some issues getting to temp and guessing I need more insulation around the elec. kiln portion. I have since then put IFB around it, but yet to fire it off again.
I have a channel in the floor leading to the flue in the back making her a downdraft. Wanted to conserve on the heat and keep it in there as long as possible. That may be a restriction in the flow, holding back the heat gain, not sure. I babied it along because of the green pots and steam.

thanks for the word, persist!
Your kiln makes me want to take it down and do a coffin instead. Nice natural flow...

azor:
Hey Kellyh,
Posted on the beer growler pics thread and just saw this post. Is that a coffin kiln design?

Kellyh:
Glad it gave you some perspective. I've built and fired a few wood buring kilns (I'm certainly no expert), my meager experience tells me that you really don't need it belching clouds of black smoke to get a decent reduction or temperature rise. I think you do have to keep it on the edge of black smoke.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version