Clayart Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Clayart Forum - Just Launched!  June 2015

Author Topic: Pottery in Ogami, Japan  (Read 3663 times)

Hank Murrow

• View Profile
Re: Pottery in Ogami, Japan
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2016, 08:08:56 PM »

I am sorry that those I promised to send daily reports to got shafted. My mail software acted up and would not send a bulk mailing to my subscribers, and it was too difficult to address 72 different accounts individually! I would not have gotten any pots completed for the firing. As it turned out, I got around 120 in the anagama, and it cost about $400 for my share of the wood bill. When I opened the fiber drum this afternoon, I found two broken teabowls(chawan) and a broken katakuchi(sake server) at the bottom. The rest made it(over forty pieces) just fine.

Now, my work is to replicate(in the Oregon wood kilns in which I fire) the beautiful Pink Shino that I got in John's kiln. Paradoxically, John wants to get the(he says) beautiful orangey Shinos that my kiln produces: grass is always greener on the other guy's lawn? Anyway, I think a 80% High Potash spar/20% Georgia kaolin with low melt spodumene 'to taste' may do the trick. Anyone want to beat me to it? Report back here if you do!

Cheers from Eugene, Hank

mugmkr

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2016, 06:36:34 PM »

Sounds like a wonderful trip Hank, looking forward to seeing more photos and hearing some stories. Owen

Hank Murrow

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2016, 11:12:35 PM »

Hank is at the Itami airport, grateful that my fiber drum with a lot of yakimono and chayaki from John's anagama made it through the weight limit with six #'s to spare; but sad that I left a couple more pots at Ogami. Oh well, John can sell them to the Open House crowd next weekend to support Fieldwork, the organization that began this unique exchange program with John's steady leadership some 25 years ago. I will post pics of more of the adventure when I am home 'later today' in Eugene, OR.

It is hard to believe that I am leaving at 2pm for Haneda airport in Tokyo, busing to Narita airport, taking an Air Canada flight to Vancouver BC at 7pm, and landing noonish today(!) there and arriving in Portland OR on the same day at 2:30pm. I hope to sleep on the flight to Vancouver, but the moon will be its fullest and closest in 70 years tonight, and I have booked a window seat to see it from 30,000 feet!

Before returning to Eugene, I hope to report to Diane Durston at the Japanese Garden in Portland to debrief her on the potters I secured for future shows at the new Cultural Crossing village that Kengo Kuma designed for the Garden. It is a stunning arrangement of buildings that will serve many educational and pleasurable purposes going forward, and opens April 30, with a show of Tea pottery by a former Prime Minister of Japan, with Inayoshi Osamu and other great potters from America and Japan  following close behind. This is a truly auspicious happening for Oregon and the west coast.

Cheers! Hank Murrow, heading home to Eugene.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2016, 11:15:59 PM by Hank Murrow »

Hank Murrow

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2016, 07:13:53 PM »

Yes, Ray;

The whole kiln was suffused with that pink at least in the case of the low Fe bodies. Even the hiFe bodies showed pink sometimes, which I attribute to the use of a High Potash spar. All had doses of Low Melt Spodumene(5%, 10%, and 16%), but the Lithium content did not spoil the pink. I think the P2O5 content protected the pink, but further testing with the Spanish HiPotash spar may confirm this conjecture. Meanwhile, I am happy to see the lime-green of matcha against that pink in these bowls for now. Got my fiber drum packed and have a heavyish Vase on top in case I have to dump a piece to stay under 70#'s for Air Canada this morning. More later, Hank in Ogami, soon to be asleep on the Dreamliner!

rbogle

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • MadeWithClay
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2016, 05:38:50 PM »

Thanks for the pics Hank....looking forward to seeing more.   Is that a bit of pink I see in that chawan?

Hank Murrow

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2016, 01:49:12 AM »

I had lots of fum making wares for the anagama over 3.5 weeks, leading up to a firing between Oct 27th and 31st, stoking shifts of six hours or so. Great help around the kiln, great food from all who cooked, and the occasional Whiskey/ginger-ale/yuzu/basil concoctions that John contributed at dinner. Lots of Shino tests with the various clay bodies from Shigaraki and beyond, and my 'trying for pink Shino' tests sprinkled around the kiln. See the chawan I fired in the attachments_____ not to mention the Shigaraki clay vase with feldspar stones glazed only with flayash! I leave for the Itami airport tomorrow morning, flying to Haneda near Tokyo, busing to Narita, where I catch an Air Canada Dreamliner to Vancouver, BC and thence to Portland, OR. My fiber drum is now full of my pots and John's pots, along with small gift pots from the potters we visited along the way. A seven week sojourn that was wonderful, even for theses 77 year-old legs! Cheers from Ogami until I get home to post more to this list. Hank Murrow

rbogle

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • MadeWithClay
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2016, 10:43:15 PM »

Great...Looking forward to hearing about the trip.  I dream of taking a similar adventure :)

Hank Murrow

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2016, 08:05:30 AM »

There will be more of my adventure when I return on the 14th.

Cheers, Hank

rbogle

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • MadeWithClay
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2016, 02:43:25 PM »

Thanks for posting Hank!!

Hank Murrow

• View Profile
Pottery in Ogami, Japan
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2016, 08:09:59 AM »

Hello; I am working with john Dix in his pottery in Japan to make a bunch of work, fire his anagama, and learn about both the local clays here and how Low Melt Spodumene-based glazes work with Japanese Kaolins and Feldspars. I will post pics of my experience as time permits, so follow along with me as I work in this remote hamlet of Ogami.

Cheers, Hank Murrow

The pics are of a tea ceremony with Sachiko Jack in the pottery tea hut. My chawan in the close up.