Firing > Firing / Kilns

"Black in soda firing with oil & wood"

(1/1)

azor:
beautiful work Hank! When I veggie fire (fire with recycled veggie oil) I also get that grey, in certain areas. Been using the drip method with the oil, so a very inefficient way of burning the fuel, thus producing an abundance of carbon not burned up, at times way too much of it as evidenced in some bodies used, carbon coring develops. Could also have to do with the guy firing the kiln (me) and not knowing to let off the reduction cycle in time as a slight reduction is taking place most of the firing.
I don't actively soda or salt the kiln, but have noticed slight sodium effect in pots close to the flame ports, as sodium is in the used oil from frying foods. Pleasant effect on the pots, but not so much on the soft brick wall that now needs replaced. Live and learn...

Jefe:
Is that gray really as matte as it looks in the group shot 8175?

gotta love those polka-dotted shelf edges...

Ann Kenworthy:
Oooooh, those are nice, Hank! Thanks for posting.

Hank Murrow:
I had an experience last year soda-firing in a wood-burning kiln that was finished with reclaimed cooking oil at the end. The firing surprised me with the charcoal results on the pots lower in the stacking, where the chimney was pulling down the flame. Here are some samples, that show the lighter result from the top of the stacking, and the darker results from the bottom two shelves. We surmised that the oil dripped onto the coal buildup caused carbon trapping down where the flame was drawn because of strong draft at the bottom of the chimney, which is 25 feet in height. The photos show the rope patterns which were filled with Bauer slip and scraped off to allow the slip to only reside in the impression. Otherwise, the clay is Gmix from Georgies in Portland OR. No glaze was used, save for the soda sprayed in at the end.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version