Clayart Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Clayart Forum - Just Launched!  June 2015

Author Topic: Throwing from standing position  (Read 1807 times)

Cyndy

• View Profile
Re: Throwing from standing position
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2015, 02:05:25 PM »

Deb,
    Glad to see you made some use of your chemistry and biology texts! (LOL!!!) On the serious side, you are correct about finding the body position most comfortable for you. I throw sitting, but my chair is lower in the front so that I do not bend as much in the waist. Standing was just too aggravating. I can't get tall pots pulled.

Deb Thuman

• View Profile
Re: Throwing from standing position
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2015, 10:13:00 AM »

Interesting set up. Sometimes, it takes a while to find just the right combination for a comfortable position to do.... whatever. When my husband built my sewing table, I knew that regular table height was the wrong height. I played with my college chemistry and biology texts until I had the machine at the perfect height. Sewing table was built accordingly. Haven't had a backache sewing since.

Don't worry about length of post. As long as it's less than 750 words, you won't lose anyone.

Ken chase

• View Profile
Throwing from standing position
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2015, 05:39:31 PM »

My first post. I built supports for my but and lower back to lean against while throwing. Bad back.
If successful I will post a photo of the set up. I'm new to pottery and having trouble centering.
Someone suggested I build a bar to lean my forearm on for stability. Finally my question.
It occurred to me if I extend the low back support a foot or so on both sides it would provide
A place to support my arms at the elbows. I'm just not experienced enough to know which of these
Actions would be best, or even helpful.
Sorry this is so long. I'll try and be brief on future posts.
Thanks
Ken Chase